Friday, August 21, 2009

God in... Hell?

Well, my first problem with St. Augustine. In the second part of book 1, he says at one point "because nothing which exists could exist without Thee, doth therefore whatever exists contain Thee? Since, then, I too exist, why do I seek that Thou shouldest enter into me, who were not, wert Thou not in me? Why? because I am not gone down in hell, and yet Thou art there also." This seems to me to be an argument for guaranteed salvation, which would make me sharing the gospel a useless endeavor, and the thought that God is also in hell just seems to go against everything I have ever learned about what hell is.

Utmost and Highest talked about how we should be a child of God because when we are a child we conform to the will of God, it is good to see someone else agree with me, well me with them since the book was written a very long time ago.

No comments: